a note from the editor
86 steps. Down. Ouch. Light. Quick note: Look at the causes of photophobia. Walk down the road. Feel the breeze. Turn right. Not supposed to be here.
– Hey Cortana, what is this place?
– You are at the John Lennon Wall. The Lennon Wall has been filled with John Lennon-inspired graffiti and pieces of lyrics from Beatles’ songs since the 1980s.
– In 1988, the wall was a source of irritation for the communist regime of Gustáv Husák. Young Czechs would write grievances on the wall and in a report of the time this led to a clash between hundreds of students and security police on the nearby Charles Bridge. The movement these students followed was described ironically as “Lennonism” and Czech authorities described these people variously as alcoholics, mentally deranged, sociopathic, and agents of Western capitalism. The wall continuously undergoes change and the original portrait of Lennon is long lost under layers of new paint. Even when the wall was repainted by some authorities, on the second day it was again full of poems and flowers. Today, the wall represents a symbol of global ideals such as love and peace.
– Find me park. Today I am eating alone in public.
Approach a man sitting by himself. Make small talk. Ask if they are here on holidays. Ask where they’re from. Ask what they do for a living. Make them a compliment. Give them a business card. I have to print some cards. Shake hands. Get up. Walk left. Find a woman. Then do the same. Meet someone new, check. Walk towards the river. Approach two women and start a conversation. Then two men. Ask them if they’d like you to join them. Thank them for their time. Tell them that is was a pleasure meeting them. Talk to an attractive stranger. Talk to a group of attractive strangers.
– Hey Cortana, what are you doing on Sunday?
– I honestly can’t tell if that’s a trick question.
– It’s not.
– What if I answered your question with a question?
– That’d be dumb.
– According to azlyrics.com, this is what I found: Don’t be dumb. Ignorance was bliss, and this is something that I won’t miss, and this is…. Don’t be dumb. Ignorance was bliss, and this is something that I won’t miss, and this is….’
– Yeah, yeah, ignorance is often bliss. Anyway. On Sunday we’re going to a nudist public swimming pool.
[Cortana brings up Microsoft Edge:]
– You’re awfully silent about the idea.
– Here’s some information that might help:
aw·ful [ˈôfəl] ADJECTIVE
very bad or unpleasant:
“the place smelled awful” ·[more]
inspiring reverential wonder or fear.
“we’re an awful long way from the main road”
More definitions and translations
– I need to find some real friends.
– Ok bye now. But hey Cortana, wait. How can a wall be filled with poems and flowers and cement and brick and separation?